EuropeFeaturedHydrogenPR

Everfuel plans 300MW HySynergy phase II electrolyzer in Fredericia

0

HySynergy Phase II development plans for a 300MW electrolyzer and Power-to-X (PtX) facility adjacent to the Fredericia refinery.

The HySynergy Phase II project entails a significant increase in the production of green hydrogen, which will be used in both zero-emission hydrogen mobility and as green feedstock in various fuel refining processes. When completed, the combined facility will have the capacity to reduce Danish land-based transportation sector-related carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by nearly 5% by 2025, directly contributing to the Danish government’s goal of reducing CO2 emissions by 70% by 2030.

Approximately 20% of the green hydrogen produced at the facility will be used directly as pure hydrogen for zero-emission mobility, while the remaining 80% will be used as a feedstock for the fuel refining processes. The new facility will allow for a 214,000-ton reduction in annual CO2 emissions from the industry and mobility sectors, which is equivalent to approximately 4.7 percent of total CO2 emissions from the Danish land-based transportation sector1).

The new facility can also provide oxygen for on-site carbon capture via an oxyfuel process, as well as a 25% reduction in Fredericia refinery emissions by using green hydrogen for the production of low-carbon gasoline, diesel, DME, and M85. As a result, the second phase of HySynergy may also include methanol production.

Everfuel has begun additional discussions with public and private stakeholders and has applied for project funding through the Important Projects of Common European Interest (IPCEI) scheme for the development of large-scale hydrogen projects. The goal is to reach a final investment decision (FID) on the HySynergy Phase II by late 2022, subject to regulatory approvals and funding, with commissioning in late 2024. The project’s budget is expected to be up to DKK 1,9 billion, or EUR 250 million. The HySynergy Phase I 20MW electrolyzer is currently being built next to the Fredericia refinery. The final regulatory approval is expected before the summer of 2021, with construction beginning in the third quarter.

The HySynergy Phases I and II are part of Everfuel’s previously announced plan to invest EUR 1.5 billion in developing Europe’s green hydrogen value chain and reach EUR 1 billion in annual revenue from hydrogen sales by 2030.

“This is a truly unique project and a global showcase of cross sectoral PtX synergies, furthermore, posing a significant CO2 emissions reduction potential on both near- and long term. Adding to the substantial here-and-now CO2 reduction potential from the planned 80/20 capacity distribution between refining and direct use in mobility, a gradual increase in hydrogen capacity used directly for land-based transportation may further increase the CO2 reduction up to an annual 450,000 ton, equal to the CO2 displacement from 500,000 electric cars2) . Put in another perspective, this is equivalent to a ~10% reduction of the total land-based transport emissions in Denmark. We are eager to proceed with the HySynergy Phase II project and continue bringing Fredericia and the Danish Triangle Region forward as a European hub for PtX and green fuels”, says Jacob Krogsgaard, founder and CEO of Everfuel.

“Fredericia is an energy metropolis of Denmark. With that position comes the responsibility to contribute to Denmark’s green transition, in which we see a great potential in the development of green fuels. The HySynergy project, led by Everfuel, is a good example of how we can contribute to reducing CO2 emissions in Denmark and help achieve the nationwide goal of 70% CO2 reduction by 2030, whilst at the same time realizing the objectives set out in the City Council’s climate plan. Now the planning is underway, so that the framework can be put in place. I look forward to following the project”, says Steen Wrist, Mayor of Fredericia.

Key points & references
• 300MW Electrolyser plant & PtX facility
• 20% of capacity planned for direct use in zero emission mobility
• 80% of capacity planned as green feedstock to fuel refining processes
• Electricity sourced from wind and solar, contributor to grid balancing
• Oxygen to be used for carbon capture process
• Integrated heat recovery, exportable to TVIS district heating network
• Initial CO2 emission reduction potential from mobility and industry sector by 214,000 ton of CO2 per year
• Scheduled to be in operation by 2025
• Land-based transport sector in Denmark includes: All trucks, vans, trains, and buses

Arnes Biogradlija
Creative Content Director at EnergyNews.Biz

MENAFN publishes global hydrogen and fuel cells market report

Previous article

Doosan Mobility bags 831 million won drone contract from Korean army

Next article

You may also like

More in Europe

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *