Environmental licensing starts by Galp and EDP for GreenH2Atlantic project

The GreenH2Atlantic project, which is being developed by the Hytlantic with the participation of EDP, Galp, and other investors, has begun the environmental licensing process.

The consortium, which also consists of Bondalti, Engie, Martifer, and Vestas in addition to EDP and Galp, made a request to the Portuguese Environment Agency (APA) to specify the parameters of the environmental impact study. In this initial stage of licensing, the APA will collaborate with the promoter to specify the issues that must be taken into account in the environmental impact study following public consultation.

The consortium proposes to establish a green hydrogen production unit on the property where the previous coal-fired power plant once stood as the first stage of the GreenH2Atlantic, with production set to begin in 2026, according to the documentation filed to the APA.

With 96 blocks of 1 MW each, this unit will have a total electrolysis capacity of 96 megawatts (MW).

Green hydrogen is anticipated to be produced on a yearly basis in quantities of 9,000 tonnes, 31% of which will go to Galp’s refinery in Sines. The remaining 69% of production will be added to the REN-operated natural gas transmission system.

The green hydrogen unit will be connected to the REN and Galp facilities by a gas pipeline with a diameter of 7 kilometers and 40 centimeters, which will be built on the approximately 4 hectares of land where the old coal power plant once stood.

The new seawater desalination unit will provide demineralized water for the electrolysers, which will utilize about 62 cubic meters of seawater each hour. The green hydrogen plant will also be cooled with the help of this water.